This year’s workshop begins with a morning presentation of how the Helsinki underground center has been constructed including blasting methods and management of special challenges like geological hazards and environmental impacts. Presentations are followed by a discussion with builders, contractors and consultants.
After lunch there is a unique tour, by foot, of underground Helsinki. Using underground passages, the route will take the group to the heart of the city looking at underground works and facilities. The group then returns to the hotel by tram.
Length of the walk approx. 2.5 km with several stops. The workshop and tour will be conducted in English only.
10:00 Workshop presentations and discussion
- Benefits and challenges of underground construction, Helsinki underground general plan
- Blasting techniques and processes for sensitive urban areas
- Management of environmental effects of blasting in sensitive urban areas
13:00 Departure from Marina congress center for site visits by foot
- Underground book storage of library of Helsinki University
- Helsinki central service tunnel
- Underground parking and service facilities
- Pedestrian, traffic and energy tunnels
16:00 Return to Scandic Grand Marina by tram
- Workshop access
- Underground tour
- Hot buffet lunch and refreshments
EFEE Member: €145 + local taxes
EFEE Non-Member: €195 + local taxes
Tickets are available to purchase during conference registration.